Parasite Control in Dogs and Cats

Intestinal Worms

The most common worms that infect dogs and cats are Roundworm, Hookworm, Whipworm, and Tapeworm. To control these worms, it is necessary to have a regular worming routine. Gastro-intestinal worms can cause serious malnutrition, weight loss in spite of increase appetite, vomiting, diarrhoea and death.

We recommend regular worming at least every three months.

Age - 2-8 Weeks

Frequency: Worm every 2 weeks

Age - 2-3 Months

Frequency: Worm every month

Age - 4 Months +

Frequency: Worm every 3 months

Heart Worm Prevention

Heart worm is carried and transmitted by mosquitos. The larval stage of the worm is deposited in the tissue of a pet after being bitten by a mosquito. The larvae migrate through body tissue where they develop into immature adults which finally reach the heart via the venous system. Adults mature in about 6 months and are found in the heart and major blood vessels. The adults mate, and the female produces millions of microfilariae to circulate in the peripheral blood to renew the cycle. The dog can be severely affected, with major vessels becoming blocked with chronic infections. Death usually results in such cases from heart failure.

Products recommended by Hilton Vet Hospital:

Flea Control

Adult fleas can cause severe flea bite allergic dermatitis in dogs and cats and can be detrimental to the animals’ health. It is essential to use products that are safe for pets and their owners, but also very effective in killing the adult fleas on the animals. A wide variety of very effective products exist. Your vet can assist you in choosing the right product for your circumstances.

Adult fleas spend most of their time feeding off dogs, cats and other small animals. The adults make up only 5 % of the total flea population. The other 95 % consist of flea eggs, larvae and pupae that exist in the area where the animals live. This is usually in and around the house.

As fleas are largely an environmental problem, it is essential to vacuum clean carpets and floors to keep flea eggs and larvae to a minimum. Focus on the low traffic areas, under furn

Advantage


Intestinal Worms

The most common worms that infect dogs and cats are Roundworm, Hookworm, Whipworm, and Tapeworm. To control these worms, it is necessary to have a regular worming routine. Gastro-intestinal worms can cause serious malnutrition, weight loss in spite of increase appetite, vomiting, diarrhoea and death.

We recommend regular worming at least every three months.

Age - 2-8 Weeks

Frequency: Worm every 2 weeks

Age - 2-3 Months

Frequency: Worm every month

Age - 4 Months +

Frequency: Worm every 3 months

Heart Worm Prevention

Heart worm is carried and transmitted by mosquitos. The larval stage of the worm is deposited in the tissue of a pet after being bitten by a mosquito. The larvae migrate through body tissue where they develop into immature adults which finally reach the heart via the venous system. Adults mature in about 6 months and are found in the heart and major blood vessels. The adults mate, and the female produces millions of microfilariae to circulate in the peripheral blood to renew the cycle. The cat can be severely affected, with major vessels becoming blocked with chronic infections. Death usually results in such cases from heart failure.

Products recommended by Hilton Vet Hospital:

Flea Control

Adult fleas can cause severe flea bite allergic dermatitis in dogs and cats and can be detrimental to the animals’ health. It is essential to use products that are safe for pets and their owners, but also very effective in killing the adult fleas on the animals. A wide variety of very effective products exist. Your vet can assist you in choosing the right product for your circumstances.

Adult fleas spend most of their time feeding off dogs, cats and other small animals. The adults make up only 5 % of the total flea population. The other 95 % consist of flea eggs, larvae and pupae that exist in the area where the animals live. This is usually in and around the house.

As fleas are largely an environmental problem, it is essential to vacuum clean carpets and floors to keep flea eggs and larvae to a minimum. Focus on the low traffic areas, under furn

Advantage Topspot